A community project is under way to improve the shopping experience in Grangetown.
- A local business forum is meeting every month or so at TramshedTech – it is a chance to network, while free training/business mentoring has been offered on subjects decided on by the group.
- A seasonal street market called Grangetown World Market is being organised – off Penarth Road and Clare Road. The first will take place on Saturday 22nd July with a theme of world foods, crafts and vintage clothing.
- A map of the best independent local shops is being planned – it will be a similar concept to the successful Get Lost In Cardiff map – and we’ll be using the same design team!
- A Shop Local campaign will be developed
- 80% understood the concept of “shop local” and rated it as important
- But only 45% of residents knew about some of the shops and were less familiar with more specialist stores.
- More than half of shop owners were interested in joining a business forum – with strong interest in getting access to digital or IT skills training.
- There was also big support for the idea of an occasional street market – from 78% of shoppers and 63% of shop owners.
- The survey of more than 150 shoppers and businesses also highlighted concerns about parking and traffic congestion, and litter in the area.
- Network and a platform to discuss issues of mutual interest and concern
- Get free digital/tech and other tailor-made training
- Q&As with local councillors, council leaders; experts from Cardiff Business School etc
- Work towards #LoveGrangetown/Shop Local goals and improved independent retailing and trading.
There was also an introduction to small businesses getting online from Sam of Google Digital Garage on the night. A second meeting in February looked at marketing on a shoestring and growing customer loyalty and March’s meeting was a very welcome look at cashflow and growing a customer base.
The next meeting will now be held in September.
A separate project group of volunteers was set up to work on the street market with the next meeting arranged for Monday 10th July (6.30pm) at Grange Bowls Pavilion for those interested!
- Develop a customer loyalty scheme – linking different businesses. Ideas such as a loyalty “sticker” card, a prize draw or special offers have been suggested.
- We’d like to develop a shop-local campaign. With this, ideas include an “independents day”, taster evenings, shop local week, art trail; develop a branding, logos; use of social media.
- Better use of the existing Grangetown community website and newspaper – for articles/promotion.
- Open a “pop-up” pop-in craft/LoveGrangetown shop in one of the empty properties.